Man of action
Friday 11th November 2011, Cape Flats, Cape Town.
Emmanuel has been a pastor for 10 years and teaches life skills to young people in the community. He lives with his mother in a neat and tidy home with a fantastic view of Table Mountain.
He was silent when I asked him to participate in Wearelucky and was obviously very emotional. He travels great distances by foot to conduct his workshops and couldn't afford public transport. I hoped he might spend the money on a car but, of course, it was up to him.
I took Emmanuel's portrait in his front room and dodged a steely glare from his mother when I asked him to shift the furniture around for a better shot.
Questions & Answers
1. What were your first thoughts and feelings when propositioned with Wearelucky?
I was very overwhelmed. I could not believe it.
2. What have you decided to do with the money?
My heart wants to sow back into the lives of others. Give new hope and lighten the burdens.
3. What does 'good' mean to you?
'Good' to me is linked to giving. Not only money, but giving yourself to add value to someone’s life.
4. Why do you think we feel good about doing something for others?
It adds reason to our existence.
5. Did you feel lucky or responsible?
I felt responsible.
6. What question should I be asking you?
Would I do the same as Wearelucky if I was able to?